Saturday, June 9, 2007

Trying to be forgiving

I was in a lock down at school this week because their was a loose gunman in the area. It was the first "real one" we had. I was very proud of myself for the ability to keep it together for the kids. All the while I was plagued with "This is what my friend Rodney had to go through 15 years ago". You see, at my high school 15 years ago someone came into my school and shot several people, killing four people I knew and two I considered friends. Rodney was on a 12- 15 hostage situation. He was locked up in a room with a few other people one being an injured person from the gunfire. 12 - 15 hours can you imagine? I took a small child to use the restroom in the complete darkness and thought of how scary it must have been for him. It leads me to confusion over the last few days. All I can think to do for today is to pray. Pray for Eric Houston (the shooter at my school), Pray for my friend Rodney, Pray for the man that shot and killed his own father this week, Pray for the father that was killed, pray for myself so that I can find it in my heart to forgive. I do know this, that the lack of forgiveness only injures my own soul and heart and gets in the way of my ability to be of service to others.
I had an excellent opportunity to be of service today. I had a graduation party for a very dear friend of mine today. I was honored to be a part of it all. Forgiveness in all areas of my life granted me the ability to do so.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Wow Kristina, that is so scary. I am glad you are all safe.

Unknown said...

Thanks for having me in your prayers, Kristina!

Sorry to hear you had to go through some similar feelings.